Improve English

English learners from all over the world

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Wedding

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Seb
Admin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Wedding   Fri 3 Mar 10:37

Let us share your wedding ? How was it ? how wedding is organized in your country ? What do you think of wedding: old fashioned or useful to build a familly ? Do we have a half-part completing us we search till we find it , otherwise we are sad all life long ? Can we love two times ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://improveenglish.highforum.net
sebastien
Admin

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: yi yang about wedding   Thu 9 Mar 1:44

Yi yang from SINGAPORE wrote in the former forum :
Even today wedding still is one of the most important events in our life. Back in my home country, China, traditional wedding ceremony is very complicated, because marriage was considered more as a way of connecting two different families than a private business of the bride
and groom. However, nowadays in China, some of wedding customs have lost or been replaced by simpler and more modernistic style of wedding. Nevertheless, there are still some distinguished character that differs Chinese wedding from others.

First, unlike Western couples, Chinese couples don't go to church to celebrate the wedding,rather, they need go to the local civil department of government to register their marriage first,by doing so, they have to fill out some forms and sign the documents, there is no vow, no witness,
no exchange of rings. Then they need to arrange a wedding banquet which is meant to announce the marriage to their relatives and friends. Of course, guests the more the better. If you have seen
Ann Lee's movie <Wedding Banquet> you would know what I mean. [/list][/list]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chassibout.info
sebastien
Admin

PostSubject: celine about Wedding   Thu 9 Mar 1:46

CELINE wrote in the former forum :

Traditional wedding customs in Taiwan are very complicated!
Before the bridegroom picks up the bride there are some important tasks he must complete.
Firstly he must offer sacrifices to the ancestors, then the motorcade will pick up the bride usually in numbers that are considered lucky.
On the way to the brides place they will usally shoot firecrazkers to celebrate the occasion.
On arrival at the bride's home, her friends will play a game where they obstruct the bridegoom and give him a very hard time!
The girls will ask the bridegroom a few questions about the bride and only when he answers correctly will he be allowed to enter. This is a very humerous and interesting part of the process.

I am not married yet, however I have attended many wedding ceremonies before.
The wedding ceremonies were all very elegant, ceremonious weddings that took part in very luxurious, classy and romantic hotels.

I have also had the chance to take part in some kinds of local and racket weddings.
The funny thing is that both of these different styles of weddings have one thing in common, that the brides friends will give the bridegroom a hard time.
The girls will think of different mischievous games to play on the bridegroom, for example, they may mix lots of different, horrible ingredients into the drinks! (Soy bean, hot pepper, juices, wines, whatever they can get their hands on from the table, they will put in)
Sometimes they will even pour wine into the heel of the bride's shoe for the bridegroom to drink, which is very very funny for everyone but the bridegroom!
Back to top Go down
sebastien
Admin

PostSubject: wedding   Thu 9 Mar 1:47

I got married in 2000. It has been a one year preparation with my wife. First of all, we had to book a little castle more than one year before to have a good date during summer. We managed to find a priest for the same day because they are less and less priests (most people are not going to the mass but want their wedding being celebrated in a church to please the older personn of their families) That 's not my case. The second thing far long to get was my wife's wedding dress. It's ususally more than 6 months to sew it in secret. the groom discovers the dress only the wedding day at the church's door.
A few days before the wedding, there 's a custom still alive, especially for young couples : we call it '"the funeral of celib 'life". Bride and groom are separated. Each with their friends. the bride and the groom are fancy ridiculous dressed and went out in restaurants and clubs. the groom is the object of all the tricks and games from his old friends.

Secondly, we had to choose a theme, for us it was Provencal Olives : you could find this theme with the bridemaids dresses, with the menu we had chosen with the cook, with the name of each guest table ( each table is about 8 guests and is named, i hope i'm clear enough...)
The wedding day is usually saturday. The bride is lead in the church by his father. When you get out of the church, all your friends launch flower petals. then the motorcade is very old fashioned. For a very specific day, we had a long time "aperitif" with a jazz band, hundred red air balloons launched, a magician , a big cake you serve with the bride and glasses of champagne
In figures : 200 personns for aperitif, 150 for dinner, 80 for sunday party, 60 bottles of champagne, 80 bottles of wine ( red, white), 50 cigars...

As you have seen , the wedding is very social, the families judge others with the "great" wedding they do for their girl or son !! So most of the time the bride and groom had very bad moments with their families to obtain a wedding day closer to what they want rather than what mother in law wants. Among my friends, we all had waited to have a job before getting married allowing us to be money autonomous.... I have to say that a simple ceremony is fine , I did it when we got married in civil terms ( twenty persons and a fabulous restaurant) but it is not comparable to a day with all your friends and family It s the only time you will connect all these people. On the same day, you have all the personn important in your life. That's a GREAT impression.

i join a picture of my wedding on frappr/improveenglish !!! Don't laugh !

Last edited by on Thu 9 Mar 1:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sebastien
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wedding   Thu 9 Mar 1:50

John from ENGLAND said in the former forum

MAINTAINING YOUR MARRIAGE
Enhance your relationship by ALWAYS
laughing at your partner's little jokes.
If your partner's little jokes aren't funny,
laugh at his little penis instead.

Jorge from COSTA RICA wrote in the former forum

In my Country, and in many Latin American countries, a wedding is a very special ocasion, and most of the time, takes place in a religious place, like a church or a synagogue. A religious ceremony also acts as a civil one. After that, there is always a big party.
Depending on how much do you want to spend, a wedding could be a very sumptuous affair or very simple.
I was married 8 years ago and our weeding was very nice. I had the same godfather and godmother for the weeding than for my baptism, even though I got married at 39. Believe it or not!
After the ceremony, attended for 150 people, we went to a Country Club outside San Jose, which is the Capital city of Costa Rica, and had a big bash. I am the first of 5 brothers and all of us sang with the band at the stage. All of our girl friends, scream like if we were a very famous musical group. It was very fun.
My honeymoon first stage, because it had two parts. was in a beach hotel in the pacific cost of my Country. Absolutely beautiful, and after 3 days we took an airplane and went to United States and spent 2 days in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where we took a cruise to the Bahamas. We spent another 3 days over there. We had a wonderful time.

I am still happily married and have a 7 years old daughter, Natalia (I will post some pictures of her soon).

Well, I am recalling all this because today is Saint Valentine's day (February 14th). We call it The Lovers Day.

Cheers to all.

Jorge
Back to top Go down
sebastien
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wedding   Thu 9 Mar 1:56

IVAN from RUSSIA said

Quote:
Enhance your relationship by ALWAYS
laughing at your partner's little jokes.
If your partner's little jokes aren't funny,
laugh at his little penis instead.

Pines from Thailand

Wedding in Thailand has a little difference in some area but the same thing is the "bride-price" that's like the rule for engage the bride.Normally there's no certain amount of bride-price but sometimes it depends on wealth of the groom.Another thing that's common in Thai's wedding is the place for wedding ceremony.Usually use the bride's home for wedding ceremony.This wedding ceremony at the bride's home is exclusive for cousin and relatives maybe because the fact that most of the ceremony hold at the bride's home in rural so it's not convenient for most of people to get there.That's the reason for some middle class people to hold the ceremony again in the hotel that's in Bangkok or somewhere that people can get there.Actually there're some Thai traditional in Thai's wedding that hold at the bride's home such as the "tray of gifts" and the "Silver and Gold Door" but it's hard for me to explain it in English.Wedding in my opinion is only a ceremony that everyone have to hold for the both of our family like a formal procedure that express to the public but not involve about love.I think the most important for me is love that we can share for each other furthermore care trust understanding and something that can hold and maintain love for eternal.

Olga from Russia :

I think that a wedding is a wright thing to do but it shouldn't be done just because everybody does it or because of a beauty of the process. It is a serious step in one's life. As for me I've been married for 11 years now. And ordinary marriage registration would have been fine for me than. But my mother in law is a religious person and she insisted on the wedding procedure. I was 18 years old and it was just a beautiful and romantic event for me. It was a sort of fun and I gave my word to be a good and loving wife up to the end without any concerns or hesitation. But now I see that it was a really serious step. I suppose that it is better to live some years with the person at first in open marriage and only than to make further decisions.

Marina from Italia

Wedding here in Italy? Usually a very big stuff and a very big business for ones who organize them. Lots of invitations, expensive dresses, ceremony, restaurant, music party and so on...
I always though it was not my cup of tea. When we got married 10 years ago we've lived together for a couple of years and we decided for a very simple ceremony in a little church at the lake with our parents a no one else. Marriage i think is a very private feeling and living together is something you have to build up and mantain day by day.

Sorry if i can't answer to everyone: i'm connetted only when i'm working and morover i'havn't undestood how frappr works yet.

bye
marina

Sabine from Switzerland wrote

In my opinion is wedding a absolute personal thing.
I am mairried fot secend times. The first time i though it is my dreamman. That's was wrong. Today i think I also do a lot of mistakes in my marriage but i didn't saw it.
For a fantastic relationship everyone must work on it every day.
an important point I had to learn: that I can't vary my husband, I can still change oneself.
That's one point out my opinions and I learning a lot of more every day.
What's your opinion about wedding?
Sabine

Houdayer from france said

Hello
like Olga i think more and more people gets married"because of a beauty of the process" and also because it's the only thing in or hard society we can "build" quickly to have a kind of better place or more facilities. But for myself 50% of my friends married divorced 2 or 3 years latter, it's enormous.
I think it's a personal choice, but we can also discuss about being married in a church or "only" in front of the law...
See u bye bye
Bruno
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wedding   

Back to top Go down

Wedding
Page 1 of 1